Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Well I've been living completely outside of the "real world" for the last couple of weeks - or perhaps too much in it.
This is my first day of net connection since my last post. My dad isn't well, so I've mostly been sitting by his hospital bedside. He won't be out for several weeks, but I've had to leave my mother there as it's rather important that I don't lose my job. I also managed to miss OH's birthday in spectacular style during this period. I suck.

While I was away, I got a nice bit of work done on the cardigan, then promptly ran out of yarn. In fairness, I thought I was only going to be there for 5 days, so I didn't bring all the yarn for the project with me. I'll know better next time.

So there I was, with no patterns, no yarn and a pair of freebie needles off the cover of a magazine. On investigation, there is a rather nice yarn shop in Cork. It's a little on the expensive side for some things, but has a nice selection of the big brands. It was a little worrying that the staff didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned gauge or blocking though. Still, I've got a lovely dropped stitch scarf for my dad on the needles, which should be finished for the weekend. It's in Tivoli Fusion, but I can't remember the colourway off the top of my head.

I'm breaking the camera out tonight, so will have some snaps tomorrow, all going well. What a boring blog with no photos!

Hope you've all been doing well anyway.

Oh, and my Lornas Laces was sitting on my desk when I arrived in this morning. Yay!

2 comments:

Dudleyspinner said...

GaietyGirl,
I found your blog through lime and violet message board. I live in Kansas and am a dyer and spinner. Last April I got to visit Ireland. My daughter was working in Derry, so we spent a couple of weeks traveling around. Lovely place, lovely people, crummy yarn shoppes, which was surprising. Actually only got to one in Derry and all they had was acrylic except sock yarn, how odd sheep everywhere and no wool.
Deb

GaietyGirl said...

Hey Deb!

I always thought it was very odd that wool yarn was difficult to get here or insanely expensive. A friend of mine told me that because there's no demand, that a large portion of the wool is simply burned(burned!) or dumped, as farmers can't get more than a couple of euro a fleece for it.

Vicious circle, I guess.
I'll just have to take up spinning and do my part for the economy :)