Friday, September 05, 2008

May the road rise to meet you

Another weekend creeps up and slaps me 'round the back of the head. It's almost as naive as being surprised to be rained on as I walked to work this morning.

For all my "going to knit night" talk yesterday, I failed to make my way to Blackrock. Mostly I blame HusBeast and Nugely. I was planning on saying hello to them briefly after work, then heading off. Instead I ended up knitting up a storm in the pub, with a seemingly bottomless pint of Guinness in front of me. Overall, not a bad evening!

I did manage to get the heel turned on the Galaxy sock for HusBeast



He's happy with them, at least. Or will be once he gets to wear them. He was even evangalising in the pub last night. I was asked the magic question "why would you be bothered knitting socks, ffs?". Before I had a chance to answer, he jumped in with "handmade socks rock. Get with the programme!".

It's amazing how something like that can encourage you to knit faster!

Well, I'm hitting the road in a few minutes and visiting my parents and cat for the weekend. I've actually remembered to bring a measuring tape, which is a good thing. I've been comissioned to do a few handknits, so getting people's stats would be a very good start.

Being paid to knit! How fricking cool is that!

3 comments:

Jerry said...

I think people who don't knit just don't get socks. MY gram years ago said they were a waste of time-I wish she were alive to see the sock yarns we have now-she'd be knitting them for sure!

Anonymous said...

Props to your Mr. for sticking up for your socks!

Beware the road of being paid to knit stuff -- I've been there, and I was cranky. There is so much that I want to knit that it's vexing to be locked into a project because there's a paying customer waiting for it. That, and you'll never get paid enough to cover the time you spend on it, which may or may not be okay with you.

whywouldyouknitthat said...

Oooooh I love the yarn color on the socks. I have yet to master the heels.